Theme Notebook

Monday, January 31, 2011

Learning Profile

A year ago in health class, we tested our learning profile. At that time, I thought that the learning profile won't influence my academic grades or my performance in learning. However, by testing the learning profile once more, I realized how much it could influence my life. Doing test/experiments, understanding my learning styles or techniques was crucial for how much and effective my learning can become: not only showing what type of learning profile I have, it gave me helpful tips that I could improve as a person and learner(student).

I am a logical thinker with an "B" learning profile. According to what "The Dominance Factor" (book, handout that contains information about learning profiles) had stated, I learn best by focusing on the visual details, and processes by analysizing, verbalization and writing. I prefer structured learning, and orderly sequencing of information. Most importantly, needs to see, speak and/or write in order to learn. Also I think before moving, and can have difficulty with new learning when my dominant ear (left) is limited during stress.

After reading what "The Dominance Factor" had written, I experienced many moments where the learning profile influenced my life. First of all, academically, I realized that I could learn more effectively when my left ear is facing the teacher, but at the same time where I could see the whiteboard and visually observe what the teacher is doing. For example, in media literacy class, I usually sat in a seat where my right ear was facing the teacher, and where it is hard to see the whiteboard. My academic performance were poor until I changed seats where my left ear faced the teacher. Due to this simple movement, I was able to keep focus and boost up my grades. Just like media literacy, I became more comfortable in humanities when I changed seats/position from my assigned table. Second, in a daily basis, I am more successful when things are planned specifically or in a step-by-step format: when building something for a project (step-by-step insturctions), listing things to buy in the market, planning for the day etc.

As a result, my strategy is to sit where my left ear faces the teacher, and at the same time where I could see what the teacher is doing (writing, facial expression, body language etc.). Aditionally, I would like the teachers to know that I learn best by doing active group activities that requires some physical movements, such as experiments or simple exercises like constructing objects, or making a poster. But my lack of participation can be an obstacle, therefore it will be extremely helpful if the teacher can encourage me in class discussions, activities. It will be even more helpful if the teachers can assign my seat where they could see me easily (so that they could encourage me easier), but at the same time where I could face my left ear towards the teacher.
Personally, I also want the teachers to know that, I have immigrated to different countries and different types of schools inculding Australian School (International School of Ho Chi Minh City) in Vietnam, Korean school, American school etc. I have experienced many different cultures previously, so it is okay to teach me in their style/way.
Finally, although some teachers suspects students if they sit with their friends, I learn better by sitting next to someone I'm fond of. Because, I cannot easily participate on group activities if I sit with someone completely new (my personality). It will be lot easier for me and the teacher, because the peers will help me participate more rather than the teachers having to frequently getting me to be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment